Sixty-nine percent of Poles know about the Silesian Uprisings, but the majority do not know anything about the dates and figures related to the uprisings. This indicates that state institutions dealing with the policy of remembrance should aim at restoring the truth about the Polish experience in Silesia.
– said Karol Nawrocki, Ph.D.
The following persons participated in the meeting:
- Sławomir Kłosowski – Voivode of the Opolskie region
- Bartosz Kuświk, Ph.D. – Director of the Silesian Institute
- Prof. Mirosław Lenart – Director of the State Archive in Opole
- Prof. Paweł Frącz – Director of the Polish National Bank (NBP) branch in Opole
- Violetta Rezler-Wasilewska, Ph.D. – Director of the Central Museum of Prisoners-of-War in Łambinowice-Opole
- Mateusz Magdziarz – Director of TVP 3 Opole
- Bolesław Bezeg – Editor-in-Chief of Nowa Trybuna Opolska
- Antoni Maziarz, Ph.D., D.Sc. – Institute of History of Opole University
- Danuta Łuczak – Deputy Director of the City Public Library in Opole
- Joanna Ojdana – Deputy Director of the Museum of Opole Silesia
- representatives of the Board of the Opole Association of National Remembrance – interned under Martial Law: Jerzy Łysiak, Antoni Klusik, Wiesław Ukleja
- Tomasz Kwiatek – President of the „Dla Dziedzictwa” Foundation
- Krzysztof Marcinkiewicz – President of the World Association of the Home Army Soldiers of the Opole Circle
- hm. Leszek Krzyżanowski – commandant of the Witold Pilecki Banner of Scouts of the Opole Region of the Scouting Association of the Republic of Poland
The discussion was moderated by Director of the IPN’s Wrocław Branch Paweł Rozdżestwieński.
The meeting was also attended by representatives of regional media: TVP Opole, Radio Opole, Radio DOXA, Nowa Trybuna Opolska.
After the official part of the meeting the IPN’s President met with the employees of the IPN’s Opole Sub-branch.
During his visit to Opole, Karol Nawrocki, Ph.D. paid tribute to the heroes of Poland’s freedom by laying flowers at the Monument to Fighters for the Polishness of Opole Silesia and the Monument to the Soldiers of the Independence Underground. The President of the Institute of National Remembrance will also lay a wreath at the mass grave of the January insurgents, Silesian insurgents and soldiers of September 1939 at the cemetery in Praszka.