The badge is modelled after the officer’s badge of the Polish army in France, which had been made by the great Polish sculptor Xavery Dunikowski. It was issued to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the formation of the Polish Army in France.
IN 1917, the Entente powers recognised the Polish National Committee as the official representation of the Polish state. The first units of the Polish Army in France were formed the same year.
There were many volunteers from the USA and Canada and Poles from the armies of the Central Powers. On 4 October 1918, General Józef Haller was appointed the Chief Commander. In the spring of 1919, the first transport of soldiers reached Poland. The colour of their uniforms earned them the nickname “Blue Army”. The 1919 participation of Haller’s Army in combat in the east made it possible to force the Ukrainians out of Volhynia and Eastern Galicia. The Blue Army was then redeployed to the western border and later took over Pomerania. On 10 February 1920 General Haller performed the symbolic ceremony of Poland’s Wedding to the Sea. The Blue Army was also important component of the Polish forces during the war against the Bolshevics.