On 3 September a ceremony commemorating the 19th anniversary of the opening and consecration of the "Mednoye" Memorial Complex, within which the Polish War Cemetery is located, was held in Mednoye near Tver in Russia.
Representatives of the Institute of National Remembrance - Deputy President, Prof. Krzysztof Szwagrzyk, Deputy Director of the Office of Search and Identification, Anna Szeląg, and Ewa Kowalska took part in the celebrations organized by the General Police Headquarters.
The families of the victims of the Katyń massacre, gathered within the structures of the "Police Family 1939" Association, the Federation of Katyń Families, representatives of the Ministry of the Interior and Administration, The Police, Border Guards and other formations, the Polish Embassy in Moscow and Polish State Offices were also present.
The participants attended a mass at the Polish War Cemetery celebrated in honour of the victims. Wreaths were laid. The guests further paid tribute to the victims of totalitarianism in the Russian part of the complex.
The Mednoye cemetery was established 19 years ago. It holds the remains of 6300 Polish captives from the Ostaszkow camp murdered by the NKVD in 1940.