The remains of three people have been found on the premises of the former Warsaw III Prison (so-called Toledo) located at 6 Namysłowska Street in Warsaw. The IPN’s Office of Search and Identification is currently finalizing legal procedures which will enable extensive works to be carried out at this location.
The analysis of archival documents, witness accounts (including testimonies of former prisoners), aerial photographs, geodetic plans and maps carried out by the IPN’s Office of Search and Identification in recent months indicates that in the area of the former (now non-existent) Warsaw III Prison there is a small – still undeveloped – area which could have been used as a place of execution and burial of prisoners in the years of Stalinist terror.
In recent weeks, the estate's administration has started earthworks (the paving of the parking lot) within the selected area. From the very beginning, the IPN’s archaeologists have participated in these works, with the investor's consent. At the same time, the Office has taken formal steps to obtain all permits necessary to conduct a full archaeological search there.
At the beginning of June 2020, several fragments of human bones were revealed, however, no burial pits were found. The prosecutor of the Chief Commission for the Prosecution of Crimes against the Polish Nation in Warsaw was notified about this fact.
A mass grave, in which the remains of three people were found, has recently been revealed on the site. The lack of any traces of coffins, as well as the arrangement of the remains, may indicate that we may be dealing with prison burials dating back to the communist period. Full archaeological search in the area of the former "Toledo" Prison will be conducted by the IPN’s Office of Search and Identification in the coming weeks.
The Warsaw III (Toledo) Prison was a Security Service and the NKVD prison, functioning from the moment Soviet troops entered Warsaw's Praga district (1944). It was intended for soldiers of the Home Army, the National Armed Forces and other political prisoners whom the Stalinist regime considered particularly dangerous for the new authorities. The prison, considered by the prisoners as the most harsh, existed until 1956. Executions on many members of the pro-independence underground were carried out within its walls.