Navigation

News

The President of the IPN paid tribute to the participants of the Kiev Offensive of 1920 - Łańcut, 7 May 2020

On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the liberation of Kiev by the Polish Army, supported by allied troops of the Ukrainian Army, the President of the Institute of National Remembrance Jarosław Szarek Ph.D, laid flowers and light candles on the graves of the participants of the Kiev Offensive, which are located in the Łańcut cemetery.

In Łańcut there are graves of  interned Ukrainian soldiers who died in the winter of 1919/1920 during the epidemic. After exhumation, the remains of all soldiers, were buried in a separate lot, on  which a monument to the "Faithful Sons of Ukraine" was erected.

The Kiev Offensive was the result of an agreement between Poland and the Ukrainian People's Republic of 21 April 1920, known as the Piłsudski-Petlura Alliance. The purpose of this alliance was to fight jointly with Bolshevik Russia. Until the end of the war in 1920, Ukrainian soldiers bravely fought to defend Poland against the Bolshevik invasion.

 

go up