At the parish cementary in Ostrówki His Exellency Bishop Witalij Skomarowski offered a solemn mass for 1050 inhabitants of Ostrówki and Wola Ostrowiecka cruelly murdered by UPA on 30 August 1943. After the mass flowers were laid and candles lit under the memorial of those murdered in 1943. Prof. Krzysztof Szwagrzyk, Deputy President of the Institute of National Remembrance and Marcin Krzysztofik, Director of the IPN Branch Office in Lublin, represented the Institute during the commemoration.
Due to efforts of Dr Leon Popek, in 1992, 2011 and 2015 exhumation work was carried out in the pits of death located in the former villages. As a result remains of about 670 people were discovered. All the victims found were buried in the parish cemetery in Ostrówki. The cemetery and a partially destroyed figurine of the Mother of God, behind which the church once stood, are the only trace of the former village, which then was a two hundred year old parish. Exhumation work in Ostrówki has not been completed. The remaining victims (over 400 people) still resting in nearby death pits await proper burial and commemoration. Celebrations in Ostrówki have been held every year for 28 years and are combined with a pilgrimage of the victims’ families to the place of their relatives' murder.
More about the Volhynia massacre.